A Brief History
The Gandhi Institute of Technology and Management, popularly known as GITAM, was founded in 1980 by an inspired group of eminent intellectuals and industrialists of Andhra Pradesh led by Dr. M. V. V. S. Murthi, former Member of Parliament and popular philanthropist.
The vision of MAHATMA, the Father of the Nation was to see India as a socially and economically resurgent country and he looked upon education as an important means to achieve this goal. Gandhiji’s view of education was not narrow or sectarian. He envisioned universities as institutions of higher learning that transcend all linguistic, racial and other barriers. GITAM is committed to imbibe his values and abide by his philosophy.
Values of GITAM, guided mainly by Gandhian principles, are appended below :
Commitment of the management to transparency and accountability in governance and administration.
Commitment to adhere high sense of discipline with work ethics and openness to new ideas with freedom of expression, intellectual curiosity and entrepreneurial spirit.
Commitment to share knowledge with the community around it through inclusive policies.
Focus on hard work by creating external and internal partnerships and new fields of inquiry.
Handle the challenges with equanimity, calmness, and tranquillity.
Commitment for social good at local and global levels and the fair and compassionate treatment of the faculty, staff and students.
Sarva Dharma Samanatva (Equality of all streams of thoughts)
Have a culture of equal respect of all disciplines, talents and diverse backgrounds.
- RGB : R=152, G=31, B=42
- CMYK : C=30, M=100, Y=90, K=20
- The three cardinal principles of GITAM – strive, serve, thrive - encapsulate the quintessence of human life, that is, it is only through striving for the purpose of serving that one can thrive in life.
- The kindling light with its bright rays represents GITAM and its many faculties of study spreading throughout the entire universe.
- The light of knowledge is pure and can kindle million more lights, thus spreading the effulgence beyond horizons, dispelling the darkness of ignorance in the entire globe.
- The unfathomable sea stands for the ocean of knowledge.
- The ocean represents the vast region of knowledge across which GITAM strives to help all those who wish to master it.
- The dolphins reflect friendliness, intelligence, and unity.
- We are marching forward with the firm determination to remain at the forefront among top centers of learning, teaching, and research.