National Academic Depository
The government has established a Digital Depository of Academic Awards known as the National Academic Depository (NAD), on the pattern of Securities Depository. The NAD helps in validating the authenticity of these awards and ensuring their safe storage and easy retrieval. Maintaining academic awards in a Digital Depository benefits provide benefits to Educational institutions, Students and Employers by enabling online access and retrieval, elimination fraudulent practices such as faking/forging of certificates and mark-sheets and facilitate validation.
NAD is an initiative of the Government of India, facilitated by MHRD. NAD is a national database set up to hold academic awards issued by Academic Institutions (AI) in an electronic form. MHRD has proposed to establish a Digital Depository for School Leaving Certificates, College Degrees, Academic Awards and Mark sheets, on the pattern of a Securities Depository. This will help validate their authenticity, safe storage and easy retrieval.
• Operate in fully online mode
• Allows Academic Institutions to lodge Academic Awards in digital format and maintains the integrity of the awards lodged in DigiLocker, NAD.
• Allow Students to retrieve their lodged academic awards at any time
• Allow Employers and other persons (with the consent of the concerned Student) to verify the authenticity of any Academic Award.
• Maintain the authenticity, integrity, and confidentiality of the databases
- Institutional intervention to strengthen Academic Award notification and dissemination.
- Enhances efficiency in providing services to NAD Stakeholders.
- Attempts to eliminate undesirable practices such as corruption, manipulation of records, etc. and brings in transparency.
- Eliminates fake/forged certificates.
- Helps in Policy formulation with accurate MIS/Analytics.