Internships provide real world experience to those looking to explore or gain the relevant knowledge and skills required to enter into a particular career field. Internships are relatively short term in nature with the primary focus on getting some on the job training and taking what’s learned in the classroom and applying it to the real world. Interns generally have a supervisor who assigns specific tasks and evaluates the interns overall work. Internships exist in a wide variety of industries and settings. An internship may be paid, unpaid or partially paid (in the form of a stipend).
Benefits of doing an Internship:
- Learn about a career field from the inside and decide if this is the right career field for you.
- Work alongside a professional in your chosen career area.
- Observe the work place and see if it matches expectations.
Leadership and skill development
- Learn new skills and add to your knowledge base while gaining confidence in your abilities.
- Opportunity to practice communication and teamwork skills.
- Gain industry knowledge first hand from an organization and professionals.
- Provide evidence that you have initiative are reliable and have a sense of responsibility.
- Apply some of the ideas learned in school and provide a bridge between school and the professional world.
- Achieve a sense of accomplishment by contributing to an organization.
Networking and establishing mentors and references
- Meet new people and practice networking skills while establishing a network of professional contacts, mentors and references.
- Open the door to a recommendation for steps to take next on your career path resume enhancements.
- Gain valuable experience and accomplishments to add to your resume and/ or enhance your application to graduate school.
- Create an advantage over other job or graduate school applicants.
- Potential for a full time job offer at the end of the internship based on your performance.
Students at GITAM University have the privilege of entering of many top-notch companies like:
- Microsoft, Hewlett-Packard, Delloitte, TCS, Wipro, HCL, Mozilla, Cisco for Computer Science & Engineering students.
- Ford India, Hindustan Petroleum, Autodesk, Maruti, BHEL, Alstom power for Mechanical Engineering students.
- Larsen & Turbo, Hindusthan construction company and other construction facilities for Civil students.
- Atman law offices, Luthra & Luthra for students pursuing B.B.A, L.L.B (law).
- Dr.Reddy’s, Cipla, GSK for Pharmaceutical students.
“This summer I have interned at India's true legal firm Luthra and Luthra Law Office's. There are different teams and I have been put into stakeholders and company sector team, where in I along with my team in Delhi and Mumbai had to deal with the stakeholder problems. I learnt how a research process is, how to file s case properly, how to draft, pleadings etc. It gave me immense knowledge and one of the best experience in my life.”
“I did my internship at Alstom Power India's Thermal Services division in Vadodara. I was under the localization department which dealt with the overall product qualification and turbine repair specifically of steam turbine. The experience of working in an international organization, where everything seems to function as smooth as a ferrari and the encouragement of applying the knowledge gained during college to real world problems was a really great experience.”
“Working at a startup gives a new vibe to a person who has not seen the industry from the inside. I did my summer intern at a startup named Zettamine and the values they have set the spirit for anyone who works in the company. My project was related to PHP and Mysql and I understood how people in the industry code. It was this experience that taught me many insights to programming.”